Thursday 15 June 2023

In Search of Balance



I ventured into the inky night to do Tai Chi,

In the bid to get a better me.

Unfortunately it reminded me of P.E,

As the movements are quite difficult to follow.


Hello there! How are you, my friend?  I’m not too bad, thank you for asking. 

I wrote the poem above last November, when the nights were long and inky (instead of being short, bright and insufferably hot!). Eight months on I still find the movements difficult to follow but I’m persevering with Tai Chi. According to Harvard Health publishing, the benefits of Tai Chi are as follows:

Tai chi is often described as "meditation in motion," but it might well be called "medication in motion." There is growing evidence that this mind-body practice, which originated in China as a martial art, has value in treating or preventing many health problems. And you can get started even if you aren't in top shape or the best of health.

I enjoy it despite my woeful lack of coordination and I'm still optimistic that the ‘form’ will eventually come more easily to me, and insert itself into that mythical creature - muscle memory.  Surely Tai Chi is meant to be easy? It’s something that the elderly do. In fact my daughter, who mistakenly thought that I was doing some kind of combat sport, and bid me goodbye with the words ‘Have fun throwing people about!’ Amended her words to ‘Have fun throwing old people around’, when I tried to explain that it was a more gentle form of exercise. The instructor is a lovely man and the class is a safe, friendly space to be in. A mixture of ages, athletic ability and body shapes. 


I’ve tried yoga over the years and I like it but am trying to find a class which is suitable for true beginners, with a gentle, undemanding instructor. When I say undemanding, I don't mean someone who doesn't push you, physically, I merely want someone who doesn't bark at you when you get it 'wrong'. I’ve had two terrifying yoga instructors. One who, years ago, asked me why I stood with a squint! (Those who read my last blog would know why I found this so unsettling). Another one, more recently, who was just generally a bit fierce and scary. Her class was hard and I came away with a pain in the hip. I’m still on the quest to find a gentle class with a calm, non-threatening teacher. Someone who closes their eyes a lot, says Namaste and tells you how to breathe. Do you know anyone?

This post is about a quest for physical balance. I feel like Mrs. Doyle in Father Ted, when she makes an awkward descent from the bay window.  



The warm up in Tai Chi involves a fair bit of standing on one leg and kicking or rotating the opposite leg. I often falter. The instructor tells me that balance is very much affected by the tension we carry in our shoulders. So obviously I need to work on this tension. Short of CBD oil, I am not sure how to work on this.

I don’t know if I mentioned it but I’m turning 50 at the end of this year. As detailed in this article, sent to me by a much younger friend, one of the most important things to focus on as we age is balance. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/apr/07/life-changing-daily-moves-that-will-keep-your-body-happy

They reckon you should stand on one leg as you brush your teeth. They also advocate sitting on the floor more and other not particularly alarming, but still somewhat annoying habits. Can you get up from the floor without supporting yourself with your hands/arms? Oh you can, good for you!

So anyway, the next time you see me I'll be looking wonderfully calm, smiling as if someone has just told me that they've filled my freezer with pistachio Magnums, standing on one leg as I delicately sip at my lemon verbena tea.

Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment